Chinese FM: Tsai’s phone call with Trump ‘petty action’ of Taiwan
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Saturday morning called Taiwan leader Tsai Ing-wen’s phone call with US president-elect Donald Trump a “petty action” by Taiwan.
Wang made the remark to journalists after an academic forum of annual review of China’s foreign policies. He said the action will not change the “One China” framework that the international community has already formed.
“I believe it will not change the longstanding policy that the US government recognizes as One China,” he said. “The One China principle is the cornerstone of the healthy development of Sino-US relations, and we do not want any interference or destruction of this political foundation,” Wang said.
The foreign minister also brought up President Xi Jinping’s phone call with Trump last month, saying Xi called Trump immediately after the US presidential election, and the phone call marks a good beginning for bilateral ties.
“Facts have shown that cooperation is the only correct choice for the two countries,” said President Xi during his call.
“I attach great importance to China-US relations and am ready to work with the US side to carry forward bilateral ties and to better benefit the two peoples and the rest of the world,” he added.
Trump had spoken with Tsai on Friday (US local time) – it was an unprecedented move, breaking the US policy for a US president or president-elect to speak to a Taiwan leader since 1979, when the two nations formally established diplomatic ties, as well as recognized the One-China Policy.
After the call, the White House on Friday also issued a statement saying there has been “no change” on its stance toward the “On- China Policy.” Taiwan news reports suggest that Tsai initiated the call.